The CHO|360-HCP ELISA is an enhanced generic host cell protein (HCP) assay. It was designed to cover a broader spectrum of Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) host cell proteins (HCPs) than other commercially available generic HCP assays.
CHO|360-HCP ELISA is based on a unique assay design employing differently prepared HCP antigens and antibodies from two species:
- Antigen is prepared from total and fractionated HCP obtained from mock fermentation of CHO-K1 and CHO-S
- Specific antibodies are generated by immunizing goats and rabbits
- Approach results in four different HCP ELISA kits (type A to D) that together build up the enhanced generic CHO|360-HCP assay
|Type A||Goat||Total HCP|
|Type B||Goat||Fractionated HCP|
|Type C||Rabbit||Total HCP|
|Type D||Rabbit||Fractionated HCP|
- LOD between 0.5 – 1,0 ng/mL
- LOQ between 2 – 3 ng/mL
- Working range 2 – 100 ng/mL
To exemplify, we tested CHO|360-HCP ELISA kits (A to D) and a commercially available generic CHO HCP assay on the basis of a great number of mock CHO HCP samples. Figure 2 shows that in most cases the best recovery was estimated with one of the four CHO|360-HCP ELISAs kits. In case of sample 4, a recovery of > 90% was estimated with ELISA kit type D while ELISA kits A, B and C as well as the commercial kit were less sensitive with the latter recognizing only 20% of the host cell proteins.